Goat Shank Curry Dalcha Gosht
Dalcha Gosht is a famous curry from Southern India traditionally featuring mutton, and lentils. Our version uses grass-fed goat shanks cut into thirds (available by special order through Shepherd Song) and chickpeas, but any chunked, bone-in or boneless stew meat may be substituted.
Another thing that makes our recipe special is the inclusion of goat milk, and goat yogurt that enrichens the sauce. If you need a creative idea for working with lamb or goat, rest assured the smell of goat meat, goat yogurt and aromatic spices simmering in your kitchen is sure to get your appetite going, and anyone else who’s close by. If you need a great side dish to serve with curry, try Indian Mushroom Rice.
This recipe is by chef Ben Spangler. Hailing from Minnesota, Ben draws from his Midwestern roots to create dishes that are unpretentious and delicious. Ben has competed on national television for the Food Network and appeared on local Minneapolis food networks. He is currently executive chef at Mercy in Minneapolis.
Looking to buy lamb or goat online? Shepherd Song Farm: Grass to table. We raise lambs & goats traditionally, humanely and sustainably. 100% Grass Fed, Pasture Raised, Never Confined, no Hormones, Grains or Animal Byproducts. Born, raised and processed in the U.S.A. Good for you and good for the environment.
- Mortar & pestle (optional)
- 2 Shepherd Song Farm goat shanks cut into 3 pieces, or 2 lb goat meat for stew
- 2 oz butter
- 1 ea onion
- 4 ea garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ea nutmeg
- 1 ea cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon clove
- 2 ea bay leaf
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups goat milk
- 2 cups goat yogurt
- 1 cup dried chickpeas 1.5 small cans of canned chickpeas can be substituted
- 1 oz grapeseed oil
- 1 ea lemon for juice
- Salt and pepper
- Soak chickpeas overnight in twice their volume of water.
- Heat the dutch oven pan and add grape seed oil & goat shanks.
- Sear on all sides and remove from pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Add butter to the pan and onions and cook until lightly caramelized.
- Add turmeric, paprika, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, cardamom, lemon, clove, bay leaf & cook 1 min.
- Add vegetable stock, goat milk, goat yogurt and stir in chickpeas.
Finish and Serve
- Braise in the oven at 325⁰ F for 5 hours or until tender
- Serve on warmed flat bread or rice.
Full Recipe Video